Monday, September 13, 2010

Twitter usage at the 2010 VMAs

Last night, September 12, 2010, was MTV's VMA award show. During the preshow & the award show something I found very interesting, MTV decided to use Twitter as a source of entertainment and a way to get the at home views & audience members involved with the show. To get your tweet on the show you had to you had to type in your tweet #VMA (which means its a trending topic) and you tweeted using the celebrities name or names. Then MTV would tally up who got tweeted about the most during the show. Lady Gaga held the leading spot for most of the night, with Justin Bieber close behind. I personally didn't tweet about the VMA's but I thought it was cool how MTV got their Twitter so involved. It was a lot of free publicity for Twitter and it probably brought more people to Twitter so they could vote on MTV. I'm not sure if twitter approached MTV or vice versa, but it was a good move on both parts.
Also, during the show I would frequently check my Twitter too see what the other celebrities that were sitting in the audience were saying about the show. Being the celebrity junkie that I am, I found it so interesting to see what the celebrities were saying because they were seeing things live that sometimes we didn't get to see. Twitter in my eyes is quite possibly the best social networking site for things like the VMA's because celebrities can update there status and they can do it quite frequently. It is a great key to help draw spectators like myself into the show.

4 comments:

  1. I don't have a twitter account, but I'm sure it was interesting to see what the other celebrities were saying about each other during the show. I did watch some of the VMA's and Lady Gaga was winning alot of awards from what little bit I saw, so her being the leader on twitter doesn't surprise me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do have a twitter account and agree that one of the best or coolest things about twitter is that every day people can feel a connection with celebrities, athlets, etc. It gives people a feeling that those famous people are actually real and have lives other than the ones you see on the TV screen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a twitter account but I never use it...
    I do however LOVE the idea of celebrities using them. I am a bit of a celebrity junkie as well and I think it is so great how they are able to get on there and actually defend themselves or whatever else they want to say. Before twitter and facebook you could only hear quotes from magazines and interviews and I always wondered if they were ever taken out of context. With twitter it come straight from them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This reminds me of the Emmy's when Jimmy Fallon had people tweet jokes and intros for presenters to the show, and then read some of them on the air...and I agree, it's that connection/brush with the famous that we seem to seek, that fascination with celebrities, that makes this kind of campaign successful. If advertisers can figure out how to do this with television commercials, it might just help ramp up television advertising effectiveness again.

    ReplyDelete